Having invested in a system, the next step is all about making sure you convey the right message, wrapped up in the type of expert stationery design that won’t be despatched to the email trash can before it’s read.
This is a list of dos and don’ts that will help you implement a successful e-mail marketing campaign:
- Have a strong design to ensure a positive first impression.
- Think of your corporate identity and how this should extend into the design of your email.
- Remember mobile users – more and more people use their Blackberries, iPhones and other mobile devices to access their emails whilst on the go. Make sure your message works in text form.
- Think of a catchy subject line but nothing too clever or ambiguous.
- Proof read your email before sending; preferably ask someone else to do this for you. Check, check and check again prices, contact details and dates mentioned in the email.
- Mention your company name in the “From” field.
- Conversational and informal approaches work best, so use them whenever you can.
- If possible, test out your e-mail campaign by running it with a small group of subscribers. Use the results to decide which version worked the best before you send it far and wide.
- Rely on images for key information – many email systems block images before they can be viewed.
- Send attachments as part of your email – provide a link to your website where recipients can choose to download documents instead.
- Forget to have an unsubscribe link.
- Assume that people know what you are talking about.
- Use long paragraphs – keep the copy short and punchy.
- Go mad with excessive exclamation marks and capital letters in the subject line – this could lead to your email getting labeled as spam.
- Flag emails as “high priority” or “urgent” as this will simply annoy.
- Forget to set targets and measure. Understanding the response to your email campaign is what it’s all about, and will help you plan the effectiveness of future campaigns.
At Rubious, we offer a superbly simple and competitively priced email marketing system, coupled with our bespoke design service to truly customise your communications. If you have special requirements or would like a fully managed email marketing system to include the services of our marketing department, we’d be delighted to advise you, without obligation.